Our circular walk uses the old transport system links around Thurnham Parish by the Lune Estuary.
We cross fields and pasture on old footpaths, we walk the tow-path of the Preston-Lancaster Canal before returning along the course of the Lancaster-Glasson railway.
Difficulty in navigating the River Lune at Lancaster was the commercial justification for building the dock at Glasson and catering for the merchant ships associated with the Port of Lancaster. The dock was completed in 1787 and the Glasson Branch of the Preston-Lancaster canal completed in 1826. This was a time when the cotton industry boomed, a time when Lancashire was ‘the workshop of the world’ for textile production. The Glasson Branch gave a direct link to the sea where vessels exported goods to the Commonwealth.
A railway connected Glasson to the main rail network in 1883 leading to the slow demise of the canal. Today the Lancaster Canal is linked to the English canal network, it is one of the most beautiful navigations in the country for pleasure craft.
Most of our walk is along the ‘old’ transport systems, we walk the tow-path of the canal and follow the route of the railway line. In fact the start of the walk is at the old Conder Green railway station, now a picnic site overlooking the wonderful Lune marshes. There is much wildlife to be enjoyed on the walk.
We also take a short detour to walk around the Thurnham Estate by Thurnham Hall and its Church with links to Cockersands Abbey, a short distance away on the coast.